Adult and Children Basic Education, ESL and Job-Related Skills; Teacher, Tutor, Coach, Online or In-person
Currently living in:
Contact me by email
|Profile: Mid-Career Instructor: Workplace Training; ESL Instruction; and General Education
My career spans over twenty years in educational settings. This includes continuing; community; and general education; in addition to administrative service.
05/2009 – current ^ Per Diem Teacher – International School of Amsterdam, Amstelveen, Netherlands
04/2009 – current @*# Instructor – International Training Centre for Women; Amsterdam, Netherlands
05/08 – 12/08 @ International Enrollment Advisor - Walden University; Amsterdam, Netherlands
10/07 – 02/08 Secretary - Ernst & Young; Amsterdam, Netherlands
01/07 – 10/07 @ Coordinator of Safety - Intel BV; Schiphol Rijk, Netherlands
10/05 - 10/06 % Instructor - New York City Department of Education; New York, NY
05/99 – 04/05 % Instructor/Counselor - Brooklyn Bureau of Community Service; Brooklyn, NY
10/98 – 05/99 ^ Per Diem Teacher - New York City Department of Education; New York, NY
11/97 – 10/98 @Program Associate - Consortium for Worker Education; New York, NY
07/98 – 08/98 +*Teaching Assistant - New York City Department of Education; New York, NY
05/98 – 08/98 +*Tutor & Counselor - Edwin Gould Group Home Services; New York, NY
05/85 – 11/97 Administrator - Columbia University’s Teachers College; New York, NY
Key: @ adults 21 – 65; % adolescents aged 16 – 21; + adolescents aged 14-18; ^ children grades K-8; * part-time; # volunteer
06/09 English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) British Language Training Centre, Amsterdam, NL
08/06 Internationale Diplomawaardering – 5.5 years post-HBO volwassenen educatie
05/00 Master of Arts: Adult and Continuing Education (Workplace Education, Staff Training
and Development); Columbia University’s Teachers College, New York, NY
03/96 Empire State College, SUNY (State University of New York), New York, NY
Bachelor of Arts: Community Human Services (Adult Education and Learning Theories);
07/92 Associate of Science: Human Development
09/09 Certificate of Good Conduct – clearance to teach in public schools, The Netherlands
05/08 Certificaat Inburgering - permanent residency status in The Netherlands
03/06 School Violence Prevention and Intervention; New York City Department of Education; NY, NY
02/06 New York State Teacher Certification Examinations: Liberal Arts and Sciences Test;
Secondary Assessment of Teaching Skills - Written
03/98 Occasional Per Diem, New York City Department of Education; New York, NY
04/98 Parent Workshop Facilitator, Every Person Influences Children (EPIC); New York, NY
10/97 Mandated Reporter, child abuse and maltreatment; St. Lukes Hospital, New York, NY
Teaching and Counseling Skills:
05/090- current: Per diem instruction at an international school teaching children grades 1 – 5.
04/09 – current: Provide instructional support with small groups of women on management training skills. Subjects discussed included communication skills (non-verbal, verbal, aggressive vs. assertive behaviors, giving positive criticism). Conduct role-play activities using real work scenarios, to help women gain skills to address issues in the workplace and daily life. Incorporate CELTA teaching skills into lesson plans as English is not their native language.
05/ 08 – 12/08: Follow-ed up contacts of prospective students. Conducted 1st stage interview for enrollment in online graduate programs. Advised students on programs relevant with their educational goals. Assisted with the enrollment process.
1998 – 2006: Taught adults and adolescents remedial skills: reading, writing, and mathematics in preparation for five-part General Equivalency Diploma examinations. Developed curriculum and taught job-readiness course to prepare learn skills in preparation for and maintain employment. Taught adults and adolescents in Job-Preparation Training: Administered various assessment tools to learn client’s work skills interests. Created individualized plans towards educational goals and desired employment. Counseled and documented their progress. Identified and resolved any barriers to goals. Advocated for clients through external support services. Conducted new student orientation workshops. Co-conducted parenting workshops.
• Testing students’ knowledge with regards to awareness of vocabulary, terms, and phrases. Use similar lexis to elicit responses from students; self-directed discovery of answers. Ask concept check questions to check understanding. Use student’s experiences for practicing skills in a neutral class setting. Continuous feedback from students on understanding, what was helpful, not helpful, etcetera.
• Developed curriculum for adolescents and adults in alternative basic education programs. Curriculum enhanced student’s reading, writing and math skills. Taught students skills for passing the high school equivalency certificate examination; apply to college; and complete work requirements.
• Developed instructional lessons to prepare for employment goals. Developed curriculum for the following instruction: Clerical Training Skills; Job-Readiness Skills; and Appropriate Work Behavior.
Course length was a six-week cycle, taught on rotating basis and open enrollment.
• Reviewed suggestions from students. Incorporated matters of interest relevant to employment needs.
• Conducted weekly New Student Orientation Workshops. Acclimated new clients to our welfare to work program. Informed clients of the program’s expectations and services available to them.
• Conducted Career Discovery Workshops. Administered self-discovery tools, which matched client’s skills, interests, and abilities with careers. Helped clients create individualized learning programs based upon skills and training needed for their employment goal.
• Developed individualized study lessons for students in lieu of excused absences or study aids.
2007 – 2008: Safety coordinator in a production factory. Monitored safe and unsafe behaviors in the factory and office; responded to reporting of unsafe behaviors and accidents registered in tracking system; collated data into monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for management; created media systems of safety awareness and prevention; and organized functions which recognized and awarded safe behaviors of employees. As a secretary in a tax advisor organization, recorded status-through-completion of tax statements.
1997 – 1998: Community-based program in a local high school. In addition to daily administration, co-conducted parenting workshops. Created all communication media (i.e., newsletters; forms; advertisements).
1985 – 1997: Administrative assistant in the fields of higher education. Responsibilities included networking and communication with internal staff and external clients and services; managed daily office operations; organized conference and workshop preparations; accounted for 70 budgets expenditures annually; assisted director in revenue reports for the college board; completed monthly reports; trained staff and volunteers in workshop preparation and office skills; maintained databases.
|Available for employment.
- Full-time, Part-time, Contract
- Location: Amsterdam, NL; USA east coast
- ESL Job Interests: I love working with individuals or groups from elementry age to adults, in educational, personal, work preparation, and business-related instruction.
|Please contact me for more information.||